Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 7: Do you read? What are your favorite books?

Do I read? That is the silliest question I've ever encountered. While I'm sure that there was a time when I couldn't read, I don't really remember not loving books. And how can one choose favorite books. Influential books, maybe, and I guess there are some I read over and over and never tire of, so I'll list those.

1. Pickle Chiffon Pie

This adorable picture book was given to me on my fourth birthday by a friend from church. It is my favorite picture book because of it's unlikely hero who shows compassion to to an animal that would have secured his fame. The story and illustrations are so fun, any kid would love to hear this story over and over again.

2. The Mystery at Number Seven Rue Petite

Another favorite picture book from my childhood. My grandfather and I used to play that he was Jean-Pierre and I was Isabella, running a restaurant, but solving mysteries along the way. The silliness of the story and pictures sprung my imagination.

3. Hatchet


This is the first book I remember having to read for school, but also liking. I read the assignments without falling behind, and I think I might have actually finished before we were supposed to. Watching this young boy figure out how to survive on his own in the Canadian wilderness fascinated me.

4. Ender's Game

I read this book every few years. The first time I read it I was fourteen and finishing 8th grade. I loved seeing how a kid was the one who was going to save the world. I didn't understand all the subtext of the book at that time, but that's why I reread it every few years.

5. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

This was the first non-fiction book I truly enjoyed. Learning about the different things a human cadaver is used for, though creepy, was intriguing and the book made me want to learn about the different ways other things were used and piqued my interest in non-fiction.

6. The Gate to Women's Country

This has been my mother's favorite fiction book for as long as I can remember. When I finally read it, I understood why. It gave me insight into male/female relationships that I could truly relate to and understand. It helped me better understand man and woman's innate characteristics, and the strength both genders can have if they work together.

7. "C" is for Cupcake
"C" Is for Cupcake.
This book is only influential because it is the first novel I ever read. It was in second grade and I was so proud to have read a book with chapters and no pictures.

8. Writing Down the Bones

Everyone who wants to write needs to read this book. Goldberg explains what it means to be a writer and what it takes to satisfy the writer within yourself. I go back to it often to just get some encouragement when my writing seems to be stagnant.

9. Emma's Pet

My parent's donated this book in my name to the school library when I was in elementary school. I don't know if it became a favorite because I liked seeing the bookplate explaining the donation, or if I liked it so much that that is why they donated it, but it was read frequently during my childhood.

10. It's Kind of a Funny Story

If you have ever felt the affects of depression in your life, this book will help you know you are not alone. The writer does a great job describing the thoughts and feelings a person with depression experiences.






1 comment:

  1. Have you read _Body of Work: Meditations on Mortality from the Human Anatomy Lab_ by Christine Montross? Your mention of Stiff brought that to mind, though Montross's work is a memoir and therefore substantially different, no doubt. It's well worth the read.

    ReplyDelete