Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 4: The meaning behind your Tumblr name

I do not have a Tumblr name.

So....hmmm

My first email handle was khatteras. I still use it for some things, and some people get confused thinking Hatteras is my last name.

My second day of ninth grade, there was a boy who was in all of my classes. We had gone to different middle schools, so we didn't know each other and he had never heard my name before. Finally, in our last class of the day, when the teacher was reading the roll, this boy exclaimed, "Cape Hatteras?!?! Who would name their child Cape Hatteras?"

I could see where Kate Patterson might sound like Cape Hatteras, but really, did this guy have ear wax clogs? Anyway, from that day on he usually addressed me as K-Hatteras, and it seemed like an appropriate and fun handle to use as my first email address.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... I deleted my comment.

    That's an awesome story! I love that he waited until the last class to be flabbergasted. And a nickname was born. My brother has called me Weezie my entire life because it bugged me and that's how brothers are. I'm sure your brother in law will be nice, but maybe he'll do some mean brotherly stuff for you just so you can experience it. ;)

    ReplyDelete